What’s the Best Way to Celebrate Pi Day (3-14)?
Delivering 314,000 (3.14-Thousand) Pies to Those in Need!
American Pie Council®, Edwards Desserts and Duncan® Hines Comstock® Honor the Day in the Sweetest Way by Donating Hundreds of Thousands of Pies and Pie Filling to Feeding America
For more information, contact:
Mary Deatrick, DPR
email@example.com, 407-718-4640 cell
ORLANDO (March 4, 2016) - Not only is Pi Day on March 14 a special day for math lovers around the world who take a day to honor the ratio of the circle’s circumference to its diameter, it’s the perfect time to celebrate another type of pie… especially with those in need.
It’s an “easy as Pi “Day equation: American Pie Council + its more than 250 nationwide members = hundreds of thousands of pies donated to sweeten the day for clients of Feeding America, a nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the U.S.
“Eating pie is one of the simple pleasures in life, and Pi Day gives us yet another wonderful excuse to enjoy pie,” says Linda Hoskins, executive director, American Pie Council. “It’s also an ideal day to count our blessings and sweeten the day for others. I’m so proud of our members who have rallied together to make this initiative such a success!”
Participating APC members include Edwards Desserts who is committing to delivery 314,000 strawberry pies on Pi Day to the non-profit. Duncan Hines Comstock will be sharing hundreds of cans of its Comstock pie filling. Satis Pie, Cyrus O’Leary’s Pies, Bonert’s Foods, Foxtail Foods, Kroger Layton Bakery and independent bakeries, professional pastry chefs and amateur bakers throughout the country have also committed bringing the total to more than 322,000 pies and cans of pie filling -- to date -- that will be donated.
In addition to its members, the APC is encouraging pie lovers across the country to bake and share a slice with those in need as a way to celebrate Pi Day in their community.
Five more ways to commemorate Pi Day:
1. Enter the APC National Pie Championships, which will be held in Orlando April 29 and 30, and host a taste-testing party with your recipes.
2. Whip up an easy Chocolate Cherry Lovers Pie, an amateur winner in the 2015 APC National Pie Championships, using Duncan Hines Comstock cherry pie filling. Bring it to the office or share it with a neighbor. Use this recipe or visit http://www.duncanhines.com/s/pies/.
3. Donate to Feeding America or your local food bank.
4. Take the opportunity to use pies to teach children math skills or use our Pi Day Activity Packet.
5. Host a birthday soiree in Albert Einstein’s honor, who was born March 14. (Yes, wearing a wig of wild locks is required. And, of course, pie-eating is a must.)
After Pi Day, bakers can set their sights on the National Pie Championships, which will be held at the Caribe Royale All-Suite Hotel and Convention Center April 29-30. Click here for an entry form. Everyone, from amateur bakers to professional and commercial bakers, is welcome to enter before March 25.
The American Pie Council is the only organization committed to maintaining America’s pie heritage, passing on the tradition of pie-making and promoting America’s love affair with pie. The APC offers personal, professional and commercial memberships. For more information, please visit www.piecouncil.org.
# # #